Main Project Info
Built in the 1930’s as a headquarters building for a handrail manufacturer, the building had no lift, or disabled access, and poor natural light to the centre of the plan. As a result, the commercial spaces had remained unlet for a number of years.
By introducing an atrium to the centre of the plan containing a lift shaft and new circulation gantries, a new entrance and heart to the building has been created.
The use of high gloss brick tile cladding to the lift shaft has resulted in a striking object within the new atrium space.
Future phases of redevelopment are planned, including the conversion and extension of parts of the building to create nine new duplex apartments.