Main Project Info
Three practices were selected to design the new 350 seat Orthodox Synagogue North London. This religious community is made up of survivors of the Holocaust and their families.
The building is conceived as a full site cover top lit plinth building with smaller articulating elements placed above. The enclosure of the site is by way of a single storey screen wall along the site perimeter.
The filigree pattern of the screen wall is generated from timber tracery in the ceiling of the old synagogue at Przedborz, (c1760, burned by Nazis in 1939). and forms an upstand which semi encloses a roof garden suitable for events with rooflights, planting, wedding seating, chuppah, benches, pergolas.
Themes are clarity, development of an archaeological approach to decoration, expression of the texture of memory through patina and pattern.